The Beaumont COA’s official state website is here.
Sitting in Beaumont, Texas, the Ninth Court of Appeals serves the counties of Hardin, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, and Tyler. Here’s a map.
Briefs: the Court follows Rule 9.4 of the Texas Rules of Appellate Procedure as to form. Bookmarks to headings and hyperlinks to appendix materials are preferred. Motions for extension of time are generally granted for 30 days on first motion. All documents must be filed through eFileTexas.gov. A full list of the Court’s local procedures can be found here.
The Court issues civil opinions on Thursdays and criminal opinions on Wednesdays via its website.
There are four justices: McKeithen, Johnson, Horton, and Kreger.
Chief Justice Steve McKeithen
- J.D., South Texas College of Law, 1984.
- Elected to Chief Justice in 2002.
- Left private practice in 1989 to join the Montgomery County Attorney’s Office as a prosecutor and later as civil division chief.
Justice Leanne Johnson
- J.D., University of Arkansas School Of Law, 1986.
- Elected in 2014 as the first woman to serve on the Ninth COA.
- 26 years of private practice at Orgain Bell & Tucker, LLP.
Justice Hollis Horton
- J.D., The University of Texas Law School, 1980.
- Elected in 2006.
- 23 years of private practice at Orgain Bell & Tucker, LLP.
Justice Charles Kreger
- J.D., South Texas College of Law, 1985.
- Elected in 2004.
- General civil litigation and family law at Darden, Fowler & Creighton, LLP in Conroe, Texas as well as a solo practitioner.